104 Clock Hours Clinical and Didactic Instruction
12 Clock Hours Observation and Externship
Now Includes Nitrous Oxide Monitoring Certification!
Saturday Session 8am to 5pm
Tuition and Fees Total $ 3,965.00
The Modern Dental Assisting: DA Level I Certification course at Dental Staff Institute consists of 104 hours of lecture/lab preparation and a 12 hour hands-on clinical internship in a general dental office with a practicing dentist. Students completing the program will obtain a Certified Dental Assistant (CDAI) certificate. Students will also obtain a Dental Radiography certificate, OSHA certificate and a CPR/AED card at the end of the course. All certificates issued will be recognized by the state of North Carolina and students will be able to accept a position upon completion of the program. The general dental internship will be required once the student has completed the thirteen-week training preparation and will allow for review of all the techniques and skills developed over the previous weeks.
An externship of 12 hours in a practicing dentist’s office is required following the didactic and clinical Modern Dental Assisting course. Students must complete all hours within six weeks of the last day of class. All certificates will be awarded after successful completion of the externship. Only then will the student be considered a graduate of the school.
A student completing all of the requirements of this prgram will be classified as a DAI in North Carolina. DAII classification requires successful completion of:
- Full-time employment and experience as a chairside assistant for two years (3,000 hours) of the proceeding five, during which period the assistant may be trained in any dental delivery setting and allowed to perform the functions of a DAII under the direct control and supervision of a licensed dentist;
- a) a 3-hour course in sterilization and infection control;
- b) a 3-hour course in dental office emergencies;
- c) radiology training consistent with G.S. 90-29(s)(12); and
- d) current certification in CPR; or
- Successful completion of the certification exam administered by the Dental Assisting National Board, and current certification in CPR.